23 January 2021

Flags of Our Zombies Chapter 1: Gun Running

17 January 2021: Derek had just woken from a coma, finding the world a changed place. The coma was probably due to the Jägerbombs he had consumed the night before, having rented a cabin with some friends for the weekend. It was Liam's buck's and they were all happy to try and forget the horrors from a week ago when Trump's supporters had stormed the Capitol in Washington, D.C.. Reports had been coming in while they were staying at the cabin that after the rally a lot of the demonstrators had turned into things... like walking dead... the world was definitely getting weirder.

After an instant coffee to try and get themselves awake, Derek, Patrick and Liam set out for the nearest town to secure a stash of weaponry and a car with which to weather the storm...

I finished off my storming of the Capitol flags during the week (see here), and was keen to use them in a game. All year I've been wanting to revisit Mantic's 'The Walking Dead: All Out War' for some Covid-themed solo zombie games.

Although I've picked up a few things here and there since painting some of the core set a few years ago, I haven't painted anything since (though a lot of the scenery was painted in 2020). Getting some zombies from Jack for Christmas has been the kick I needed to finish off what I have.

Onto the games. I aim to play a story-driven campaign set in the area east of Washington in January 2021. I'll base it around Derek (the miniature reminds me of Bruce Willis for some reason) as the sort of Rick Grimes central character and his story. I'll add other characters as I see fit (hey - I might even paint something new!).

The first scenario (page 6 of 'Days Gone Bye') requires moving to the diagonally opposite corner and making a successful Smash roll. For this game the guns, etc would be in a looked highway patrol vehicle (top right), while the group start the game bottom left (I didn't take an overview photo to show the whole table unfortunately).

Derek was armed with a screwdriver, Liam a kitchen knife and Patrick with his baseball bat (perfect combination). Patrick moved off to the left to cover the old cabin side, taking down a walker and getting the ammo reload supply card, while Derek and Liam followed the road, taking out a walker and Derek gaining the scythe supply card. Full disclosure - for this game I forgot you can only use one weapon at a time, so all of Derek's rolls stack the scythe with the screwdriver. Must have been the instant coffee that made him so good in combat.

 
 

Liam joined Patrick in the middle of the board to take out a pair of walkers who were relentlessly waving Trump support flags. While Derek and Patrick are good at finishing off mindless walkers, Liam is definitely not suited and shouldn't be doing this on his own (I took a risk here and luckily it paid off).

 
 

Meanwhile the Event cards had been nothing too serious - slowly increasing the Threat level, and having me try and reduce it with the member's actions when I had the opportunity. At this point I drew the 'Escaped Livestock' Event and decided to place some livestock on the table (instead of it being just being represented temporarily by a terrain piece). The chickens were the first I came across in my collection and they share their storage with my 28mm dogs, so I picked my Bitzer Maloney to be the one that was chasing them (both are from Eureka Miniatures).

Bitzer moved towards the group (he didn't have many options as the next Event card was 'The Herd' that blocked off where the group had started from).

Liam searched a Supply counter (Flaming Brand) and needed rescuing by Derek.

Patrick was the first to make it to the highway patrol car, while Derek and Liam dealt with the walker that had gotten back up again, taking it down with a head shot.

Patrick wasn't successful in smashing open the patrol vehicle, so Derek tried (as Patrick was now dealing with walkers) and succeeded. Appropriately I got the 'Alarm!' Event card that causes mayhem, which meant Liam was now fighting walkers too. While he was successful in the first round, he got bitten the second time he fought the punk! Screaming, Derek threw him over his shoulder and Derek and Patrick jogged as fast as they could back to the cabin. Bitzer followed, barking at the trailing walkers.

As Derek huffed with slightly heavier than before Covid Liam, he knew that things were serious, there were so many walkers. So much had to be done before things returned to normal. At least he had a canine companion.

Game 2 can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment