19 December 2020

Completed Downed MiG-19 and Some Brown Cows

Following on from my previous post, I painted the Mig (basically a random mix of Vallejo Natural Steel (70.864) and Army Painter Plate Mail Metal) and added decals (overpainting a 1/144 WWI RAF roundel and some numbers from Revell 1/100 Mil Mi-24 Hind kits). I'm not sure now what colour I painted the pilot's uniform in, I think Vallejo Khaki (70.988), but I gave it a heavy brown wash as the Albanian uniforms were more brown than green.

Images of Albanian MiG-19 / J-6s to see how run down they are:

This was followed by cleaning up the edges of the decals, and adding weathering (brown and black washes). And then static grass and tufts. I think the Noch Spring Meadow static grass (50210) is a little too bright to replace whatever I've been using for years (Games Workshop or Gale Force 9 light green static grass), but it's definitely better than the Woodland Scenics Light Green static grass that is nice - but a very dull green / grey that I'll be using for desert / post apocalyptic settings instead and not for my temperate and tropical zone-centric armies. I've used it on these pieces to see what it looks liek side by side.

I then also finished off some 1/100 architectural model cows I bought years ago from an art shop, and painted them brown as Buša cattle (a Balkan breed of cow - noting they're a small sized breed) to add as battlefield tat or ambush markers/jumping off points (with 1, 2 and 3 standing cows on the bases to differentiate them).

Did you know there's a lot of breeds of cattle?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cattle_breeds

Some simple additions to the battlefield terrain, but will add to the Balkan and Caucasus theme of my modern games.

No comments:

Post a Comment