20 January 2019

Last Game I Played - Vikings invade Brazil

The first League of Ancients meet at its new home at the Caulfield RSL looked promising with a better than average selection of beers on tap and a bistro that offered a broad menu. Things looked good.

To ease myself into a new year of gaming I lined up some relaxed games of ADLG. I hadn't played with my Tupi for a long time (they were originally painted for a Field of Glory Renaissance tournament in April 2014). I probably haven't used them since, though I remember painting a few extra bits for them a few years ago. I lined them up for a semi-historical game against the Texcala (list #273), but that game fell through. The second game was against Michael B and his Vikings (list #150). Watching 'Vikings' I guess this would be a historical match-up.

I deployed with a large command in the middle (with 6 medium swordsmen 2HW, 3 medium bowmen and 3 light foot bow), with flanked by identical wings (with 3 medium swordsmen 2HW, 3 medium bowmen and 1 light foot bow). Michael's had a heavy elite central command, flanked by two weaker commands - one of them full of the Irish.


I surged forward, keen to find a gap and exploit it.


Which quickly went pair-shaped as I lost an element and the army general!


My left (blue) wing went a lot better (nearly wiping out the opposing command).


But the devastation wrecked in the centre...


...and eventually the right flank:


Meant that I was always going to struggle, eventually going down in a one-sided affair.

I think with 28 units I should've worked the flanks, delaying the centre with all the light foot. The medium swordsmen aren't bad, but are always going to struggle against mounted and heavy foot.

I was impressed by the new home, even if the staff felt a little overwhelmed with us at lunchtime. Looking forward to February's meet!

No comments:

Post a Comment