03 January 2019

LAF Build Something Contest 2019 - Part 1 (A Plan)

Every year or two, the Lead Adventure Forum runs a fun contest for members to scratch-build something within a time limit on a particular theme (e.g. "water") or restriction (e.g. on a CD).

This year the theme was vegetation, the full rules can be viewed here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=114168.0

I knew immediately I would want to concentrate to the other definition of "vegetation" - the action or process of living or spending a period of time in a dull, inactive, unchallenging way. One of my slow-burn projects is set in Simon Stålenhag's world, so something that uses both definitions to reflect something like this:


...would be cool. I spent a few hours to think if it could be done within the confines of this contest.

I searched through Google Images for something that reflected what I was thinking - probably very similar to this pose:


Complete with the bottom half of the right leg missing (I know it's the angle in the above photo that's giving that perspective). The left arm might be resting on the knee. However, as the model needs to be self supporting (i.e. I don't want a wall or similar for it to lean against), so it probably needs both hands on the ground.

A lesson I learnt from last year was to think of the storage solution at this stage, so it wouldn't become easily damaged. I'll probably buy a cheap doll from the dollar store to give me the head (I'll sculpt the open jaw, teeth, etc) and help with the proportions of the torso and the limbs.

Plant wise on and around the base of the model I plan to use:
  • Clumps of teddy bear fur
  • Dried tea and leaves
  • Sticks and twigs
  • Dyed sawdust
  • Static grass
I'll probably use some small tufts with flowers as I'll have a bit of space in the 25% commercial limit to make my creation not look like an arts and crafts project!

I also realise I have subconsciously been influenced by Nicklas P's thread from a few weeks ago on LAF:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=113797.0

No comments:

Post a Comment