14 April 2020

PBEM - Battle of the River Plate Deployment

Before the game I provided every player a briefing to the battle, that included the His Majesty's Stationery Office (HSMO) chart for the battle:


Along with the initial deployment positions (the ">" indicates direction of travel), based on the rough positions at 6:30 am:


Free reign was provided to the players on how to tell me their movement orders (giving the option for Brett and Liam to confer before notifying me). Remember rotation happens first (though players could choose to rotate at the end of a ship's turn if they chose to not use the ship's full movement).

Lieutenant-Commander Richard Jennings, HMS Exeter's gunnery officer remembers from the battle:  
"As I was crossing the compass platform [to his Action Station in the Director Control Tower], the captain hailed me, not with the usual rigmarole of 'Enemy in sight, bearing, etc', but with 'There's the fucking Scheer! Open fire at her!' Throughout the battle the crew of the Exeter thought they were fighting the [sister ship] Admiral von [sic] Scheer. But the name of the enemy ship was of course the Graf Spee."

Movement was limit to the map above, though in a virtual environment I could do a floating (hah! get it?) map. I also left victory conditions vague - as each captain would have their own idea of success. Let's see how this goes. (Steady, I hope.)

Next post, turn 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment