02 August 2019

Tusk (Mammoth Hunting) in 15mm

When I first started wargaming again in 2005, I started by playing Flames of War. This was my first foray into 15mm and I fell in love with the versatility of the scale. DBA soon followed, and I picked up Irregular Miniatures' Tusk rules and miniatures; purely for the quirkiness factor.

They were left unpainted for a few years, but by 2010 I had painted the six mammoths (two of them calves), two woolly rhinos and 16 cavemen for Little Wars that year where I ran a few participation games.

The mammoths got a bit of extra fur (courtesy of Green Stuff) to cover their seam line along their backs, but they were pretty easy to paint (and actually not bad sculpts). The characterful woolly rhinos being from Eureka Miniatures' 10mm fantasy range.


A week or so ago I decided to add to this collection with some more 10mm miniatures from Eureka Miniatures with some deer and lions (which could double as sabre-toothed cats). To give an idea of their scale, I based them on 19 x 25mm bases while the mammoths and woolly rhinos are on 30 x 40mm bases.


When I primed these (with some 15mm Napoleonic uhlans and medieval Malays) I wasn't planning on painting them, but I thought "when are you going to paint these?". So I painted them then. It ended up being a quicker process than I thought, taking less than an hour. I love the result of a quick dry brush with some highlights/detail, being surprised how well they turned out.

The colour palette used was limited, only using Vallejo black (70.950), white (70.951), US field drab (70.783) and yellow ochre (70.913). I mixed a grey for the antlers and shades of the two colours with the black and white. I also painted the bases with yellow ochre, but when I was done I think the original bases were painted with another colour I used back then. So I'll have to redo the edges at some point. Will probably use the craft paint raw umber to keep things simple (which I use for all my non-desert and non-snow bases).

Edit (31 August 2019): I have painted the edges raw umber on the five adult mammoths, two baby mammoths, two woolly rhinos, three deer, three lions, four dogs and 16 cavemen. It always feels good to complete a project.

3 comments:

  1. Looks amazing mate! I'm currently doing a 15mm Primeval (for the Tribal rules from Manna Press) project myself with these exact same models from Irregular miniatures. I am a bit curious and worried about how the 10mm models scale up against the 15mm models.
    One of my recent acquisitions was a few 15mm bisons from Irregular to use as aurochs, but they're way to small. They should be about 2m high at the shoulders, but the cavemen tower over them. So I fear that 10mm animals may look completely out of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for the delay, didn't see an alert. Sounds good (I think these 10mm miniatures work as they're fantasy-themed so a bit bigger than 10mm anyway). I will aim to add some photos with the men next to the animals.

      Delete
    2. Hi Wouter, size comparison photos added:
      https://donnerundblitzenwargaming.blogspot.com/2021/01/tusk-size-comparison-between-irregular.html

      Delete