19 May 2019

WWI Skirmish with Foch and more DBA Sumerians

The League of Ancients meeting was a week later than usual due to the Easter long weekend, and Jack G was keen to give Foch a try as we plan our post-WWI revolution games set in Eastern Europe.

Foch is a free adaptation by Pierre Aymeric for using Osprey’s The Men Who Would be Kings to game World War One (and is available here: https://lesperegrinationsdunainblanc.blogspot.com/2018/05/adaptation-tmwwbk-premiere-guerre.html).

Jack supplied both armies, where I commanded Austrians and Jack fielded a British force. As it was a training game, the units were smaller than the normal 12 (to accommodate Jack's collection) of around 9-10 men and we played around 24 points a side (the normal TMWWBK size) as opposed to the 36-48 points Foch recommends. I had three units of 9 men and an HMG, while Jack had troops with better morale, but an LMG instead of an HMG. I only remember what my leaders' traits were, two were Inspirational (may reroll failed rally rolls) and the third was a Terrible planner (limited ammunition supply). These definitely added a great flavour to the game without adding too much complexity.

Finally, the mission. To avoid a straight pitched battle, we decided to play the first scenario (Just Passing By). This forced us both to move and get me to learn the mechanics.

The game became a one-sided affair as I deployed my HMG in a commanding position on a hill and swarmed my infantry units forwards, concentrating fire when possible. Jack suffered for this (he also had a lot of unlucky morale rolls). I eventually wiped out his army.


I loved the game - was quick to pick up and I think will work for us as long as we have an HMG each and play with the minimum recommended army size of 36 points. The flavour of small-scale skirmish is definitely something that appealed to me. I also realised when I got home that a small 1914 Belgian collection I had in the lead pile was enough to field as 36 points, which was a nice bonus.

The afternoon saw more DBA games (round 4 of the GTA:Biblical campaign) with my Sumerians taking on Peter S's Philistines (I/29) in a practice game, Stephen C's Hittite Empire (I/24) and Damian P's Mitanni (I/19). I won against Stephen and lost to Damian, which meant my provinces didn't change hands.


I really need to finish off the rest of the army so I can photograph them up close. In particular I will also need to give the exposed flesh parts a brown wash - they are way too pale!

No comments:

Post a Comment