11 January 2018

3D Design - Metalhead 1

Another New Year's resolution is to do some 3D design work and have it printed to use in a game. After procrastinating I finally settled on tinkering with Autodesk's TinkerCAD:

https://www.tinkercad.com/

So far it's been pretty good as an online 3D solid modelling tool with a basic, easy to use interface.

I thought I'd start with something small, but reasonably complex. The aim is just to get comfortable in designing something. After watching season 4 of Black Mirror, I settled on the Metalheads, robotic "dogs" that are influenced by Boston Dynamics' own robotic dogs.


After an evening of tinkering I have designed the legs and the head:


Next step will be the body (a left and right half) and then I'll see what I need to do to get it printed. It's desinged to be a 28mm scale model that's about 2cm long. I have no idea if the design will be too small, so I might have to make some changes after some guidance.

Edit:
Finishing the body only took just under two hours to complete and not worth another post. I could spend some more time to polish it, but now I just want to see if it's able to be printed.

Part 2 is here

No comments:

Post a Comment